For many, wearing a bite guard, especially at night, can play a huge role in maintaining the health and look of the teeth. Whether you are using the over-the-counter kind or have a nice custom-made one, here are a few tips for caring for your bite guard:
- Rinse your bite guard well before and after use. You can also brush it with a toothbrush and toothpaste and rinse in cool water daily, or at least a couple of times a week. Let air dry and store in its case. The cases are designed to protect but also provide air circulation.
- Do not ever use hot water on your bite guard, it can soften the plastic and cause it to lose its shape.
- Do not store your bite guard in an airless, enclosed place while damp. A damp bite guard, even if clean, can be susceptible to bacterial growth if kept damp and not allowed to dry.
- Clean your bite guard case about once a week too. The case can be washed with soap and hot water. Dry before placing your night guard inside.
- Soak your bite guard in antiseptic mouthwash about once a week (or as often as you like) to disinfect it and give it a nice minty-freshness.
- Do not store your bite guard in a hot place, such as in your luggage in the trunk of a car, or in your checked baggage, while traveling during the summer. The car interior with you or your carry-on are better option for transporting your bite guard. Also, some bathrooms can get hot and steamy, so a nightstand is thought to be safer place to keep it at home.
- Inspect your bite guard frequently for damage and wear-and-tear. You can even bring it to your dental appointment for Dr. Vancil to look over too.
Bite guards are a great way to help save your smile from some of the effects of stress… clenching and grinding! Ultimately, problems with your teeth will only add to your stress level, so the simple steps of wearing and caring for a bite guard will be worth these little routine efforts to maintain the integrity and beauty of your teeth. As part of your regular brushing and flossing routine, these things quickly become automatic and easy habits that help support the health of your teeth. If you have any questions or concerns, Mall of Georgia Dentistry is always happy to help! Happy smiling!